Five. Chelsea turned FIVE.
I am in shock. How did this happen? How is it possible that I'm the mother of a person who has been on the planet for five years?
Robot voice: Does. not. compute.
She decided to have a Strawberry Shortcake birthday party, at home. And I am nothing if I'm not good with a theme.
We started with decor. I found some cheap-o Strawberry Shortcake wall clings, and Jeremy went a little nuts with the pink and green streamers. I also blew up some red balloons, Sharpied a bunch of black specks on them, and taped green crepe paper to the top for a stem and hung them in little bunches. (I know, I have too much free time, right?)
I made some cute accessories: all the little girls got colorful headbands and freckles to turn them into Berry Bitty City girls and the boys became the Pie Men with colored bandanas and mustaches.
Raspberry Torte with a couple of her Pie Men.
Then we had the strawberry food: bagels with strawberry cream cheese, strawberry sodas, berry lemonade for the kids, the most addictive strawberry wafer sticks, and (of course) actual strawberries.
Had to have some strawberry-themed games: Pin the Strawberry in the Basket (only cheaters were able to get anywhere NEAR the basket), Strawberry Race (which was an egg race but with less chance of broken yolk), and a homemade Strawberry-shaped pinata.
Had to have some strawberry-themed games: Pin the Strawberry in the Basket (only cheaters were able to get anywhere NEAR the basket), Strawberry Race (which was an egg race but with less chance of broken yolk), and a homemade Strawberry-shaped pinata.
We also had a little coloring station with Strawberry Shortcake Coloring pages and a cookie decorating table with strawberry-shaped sugar cookies to cover with icing and sprinkles. Props to Albertson's for the free sugar cookie dough. Holla!
We ate strawberry cupcakes and I practically force-fed the children strawberry ice cream. Several of the kids actually turned down the ice cream because they were full. Huh? Too full for ICE CREAM? What is THAT?
Finally, we sent them home with a goody bag (goody hat, actually, thanks Target dollar bin!) full of strawberry-flavored snacks, many of which were freaky finds from my local Asian grocery store. Awesome. If you haven't had strawberry Pocky, you need to go get some. Like now.
Oh, I may have also scented the house with a strawberry shortcake candle and swapped out our usual hand soap for strawberry body wash. 'Cause I'm kooky like that.
It was so, so fun.
And I can't wait to pay someone else to host Savannah's birthday party.
---

No comments:
Post a Comment