Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ghetto Thomas Cake Tutorial

I may have mentioned once or twice before that Chelsea is obsessed with Thomas. She decided months ago that she would only receive Thomas presents for her birthday. Whenever the suggestion came up that she might get something else, she'd say, "Wellll, maybe for Kissmas, but for my birfday I'm only gettin' Thomas peasants."

Like any totally insane mother, I decided to make her a Thomas cake. Sure, I could have made one like this. Or even like this. But no.

Because I stumbled upon THIS.

What follows is my very lame, very low-budget, very UNskilled Ghetto Thomas Cake tutorial.

Step 1: Bake a cake in a 9x13 pan. Use a cake mix because a 3-year-old will not notice if the cake is made from scratch or not. (If you live in an apartment where the oven sits on a slant, be prepared for the back of the cake to be a full inch taller than the front of the cake. Trim as needed.) Wrap in Saran and freeze.


Step 2: Cut the cake into quarters. Stack three of the quarters to form your Thomas. Save the remaining quarter for snacking building. Be sure you have a little model on hand for reference.
Step 3: Frost the layers together. Use a sharp knife to shave and cut the cake until it vaguely resembles the model. Jab a stick through it when it already starts to tip over.

Step 4: Give it a crumb coat. Use store-bought frosting because, again, the kid won't care and you don't have the patience to make homemade crusting buttercream. (Please be smarter than me. This cake is going to be mostly blue, so don't give it a white crumb coat. Make your life easier. The crumb coat should be blue.) Stick it in the fridge and hope it stays together.

Step 5: Make the face out of store-bought fondant (40% off one item at Michael's!) and black icing. Poke a stick in that, too. Set aside.

Step 6: Mix up your colors. (Another tip: Buy some red. It is impossible to make red by adding color to white. It just gets hotter and hotter pink.) (Also, I don't know why the picture is sideways or how to undo that. Halp?)

Step 7: Cover Thomas in blue frosting and then decorate with the other colors. Poke the popsicle face on there afterwards. Take a thousand pictures. Feel smug. Refrigerate cake until needed.


Step 8: At the appointed hour, add track and candles. Take some more pictures before he's demolished!

Step 9: Present Thomas cake to your beloved child and hope that you get a smile like this:


Step 10: Prepare for cannibalism.


Step 11: Have baby wipes, paper towels, napkins, and a hot bath ready to battle the (blue! and black!!!) frosting-covered face and fingers.
---

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

heidi - rad. really. the look on Chelsea's face. rad.

congrats on 3 years of being a mommy.

-ginger.

Anonymous said...

OMG, that cake was the bomb! You did an awesome job and the HUGE smile on Chelsea's face is total proof. I give you lots of credit getting this cake done with two little ones to look after.

As you would say, YOU ROCK!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME.

You are made of awesome. I'm floored.

Also very, very jealous.

Heidi said...

thanks for the props, ladies!

i'm happy the cake made chelsea happy. she's still too little to notice all the half-ass details!

the cake had a major gangsta-lean. but i refrained from posting even more photos of the darn thing.

ginger - 3 yrs of being a mommy. man. hadn't thought of it that way, but THAT is totally rad.

sandy - i did it all after savannah was in bed! and jeremy kept miss c out of the kitchen until she went to bed, too. i kept wondering why i was so tired... until i realized that standing in the kitchen for several hours AFTER spending all day standing in line holding a baby at fenway was probably not wise!

robyn - no jealousy necessary, did you SEE the real tutorial? holy jeebus. that lady is unreal.

Anonymous said...

wow you are awesome,this was once again one of your masterpieces
miss you
love oma

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't look at the real tutorial, because I figure you did it just about perfect.

Yeah, it may be ghetto - ghetto FABULOUS.

Jen said...

Wow Heidi! I'm totally impressed! Heath's mom did a Lightin' McQueen cake for Jordan...3D and built like yours and I was impressed there too. One tip from her for future cake-carving....skip the flat frosting layer...she just used disposable decorating bags with tips and just covered the whole thing in fat florets. Took no time and looked good. I'll have to get some pics on Facebook. But I get absolutely NO credit for it.....you're mom of the year! :)

Ronell said...

Wow that cake came out pretty darn good! You are brave, I always say I would love to do something like that but I would never attempt it! haha.

Heidi said...

Thanks, Ronell!

The best part? Made with free cake mix and sale frosting from (where else?) Shaw's! :)

Heidi said...

Jenn, thanks for your comments, too! (I think I already wrote you back to your email, but just in case you peek back here I don't want you to think I forgot about you!)

Hopefully some day the kiddos can celebrate December bdays together!!! Yeehaw!

Arian said...

Nice, Heidi, nice. Blows my batman cake out of the water ; )

Heidi said...

arian: if this were the cake olympics, my cake has a higher start value, but you win for execution.

Anonymous said...

Love your Thomas cake because it turned out really cute and seems somewhat easier than the other ones...I am planning on making a Thomas and a Gordon for my nephews so I am going to use your tutorial. One question- did you buy the fondant gray or did you color it? because I bought white and I am not sure how I owuld make gray..thanks!!

Heidi said...

thanks, anon!
i bought white fondant and just worked a teensy bit of black frosting into it by hand until it looked the right grey. (kids: not so picky!)
hope your cakes turn out great! and you really should check the link for the legit thomas tutorial, that lady is awesome! (but you're right, mine was easier, heh heh!) good luck!