Monday, January 5, 2009

Project Potty: How to Get Your Kid Happily onto the Toilet

You will need:
1 toilet-resisting toddler
1 old liquid hand soap container
1 bottle Dawn dish soap
1 Thomas coloring book with eighty bajillion stickers

Directions:
1. Notice that child is doing the "pee-pee dance." Tell child it's time to go pee. Sigh exasperatedly as child wails and runs from the room. Coerce child into bathroom with much parental authority including (but not limited to) counting backwards from 5, using angry voice, and threats. Repeat as necessary.

2. Decide that you are tired of fighting with child at each potty session and you will simply wait until the child realizes she needs to go.

3. After you are done washing the mountain of peed-upon clothes (see step 2), sit down with your child to try to come up with a solution. Child says that hand-washing is no fun.

4. After child is in bed, raid the Thomas coloring book for the last remaining stickers that have not been torn, eaten by baby sister, or colored upon. Clean out the old hand soap container and fill with blue Dawn dish soap. Pull off the label and replace with Thomas stickers.

5. The next day, when it is time for the child to pee, announce that you have gotten a special new soap! Accompany child into bathroom and bask in waves of joy and delight as child finds the new "Thomas Soap." Now, whenever you need to get child onto the toilet, remind her that she can use the Thomas Soap when she's done. (Bonus: hand-washing before meals also becomes vastly more likely to actually happen.)
---
Yes, this is the all-Thomas, all-the-time blog. Why do you ask?
---

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have any idea how to send you a message through blogger and didn't want to post it on my blog as it's kind of "shaddy" - I used Easy Up coupons for my recent Cruisers purchase at Shaw's. No problems at the self-checkout register at all. You don't need to leave this comment on your blog - but wanted to let you know!!! I also used some "Clean N' Go" wipe coupon for the regular Pampers wipes that are on sale. If it wasn't legal though, the register wouldn't take it though, right??

Heidi said...

Yeah, I've got some of those coupons from inside the diapers... I'm not sure if I'm gonna try the diaper deal again, seeing as so many people have been saying it's no longer working, at least in MA. Did it work for you? (I'll have to check back on your blog!)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally gonna try this. We've tried EVERYTHING ELSE.

Imez said...

I am still waiting on the potty training...she's just turned 2 and she doesn't seem to have the concept firmly rooted. But, this was a helpful post...gives me an idea of how aware a kid needs to be (not trying to eat the special soap, like mine would).

Aw...I thought the pee pee dance was special to our family...and you count all the way back from 5? 5! What a softie.

Anonymous said...

You're so right, Imez. I only count from 3. I am so not a softie.

Heidi said...

guilty. total softie.

actually, i just read a book (alfie kohn again! liberal propaganda!) and he argues that any type of trying to get your kids to do what YOU want them to do (whether by threats OR bribes) is a bad thing. so according to him, i'm not soft enough! ha HAH!