I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, it's about how thoughts, products, and actions can spread like epidemics.
One of his theories about how this happens is that certain people are more socially connected (Gladwell calls them Connectors), others are more market savvy (Mavens), and others are better able to persuade people (Salesmen).
To assess your level of social connection, Gladwell provides in his book a list of surnames picked at random from the phone book. You read the list and count up how many people you know with any of the names on the list.
I knew 11. Out of 250.
Strike one for me as a Connector.
I didn't hold out much hope of being a Maven. Although I'm very interested in getting good deals, I think most of that has to do with our current personal and national financial situation and not something innate within me.
Strike two.
And I don't even pretend to think I might be a Salesmen. Strike three, I'm out.
So, who cares if I don't fall into any of these three groups. By Gladwell's definition, these people are exceptional and rare. It should be no surprise that I am simply ordinary.
I think the interesting thing about these three types (and what makes me sad that I'm not one of them) is that they are people who are intensely interested in other people. The Connectors simply like more people and like to meet people more than most of us do. The Mavens are driven not so much by bargain-hunting as they are by a desire to help people. And the most successful Salesmen are those who genuinely empathize with and love their customers.
On paper, it would seem that I should have a vast social network. I've attended 4 universities and, through my husband, am affiliated with 3 more. I've lived in 6 different cities, in 4 different states. I've worked in at least 3 different industries.
In real life, I meet people easily, especially now that I have kids. I enjoy meeting people, hell, I will randomly talk to strangers. My mom has commented when she's with me that it's a skill not everyone has.
So how did I still only score an 11?
I think I lose track of people too easily. I think I'm often too self-absorbed to fully pay attention to other people. I think I'm more interested in talking than listening. (Ouch.)
I'm wondering if being a Connector, or a Maven, or even a Salesman is something you can learn. I don't think it is. I think it's simply something you ARE.
I think the Connectors, Mavens, and Salesmen of the world are more curious and more energetic and happier than the average person. And I want to be all of those things. But I'm not. And I don't think I ever will be.
Maybe I just haven't read far enough in the book yet. I'll let you know.
---
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment