Dear Naptime,
You came into this world nearly three years ago, just as our first child was born. You overwhelmed us with your generosity, providing us countless hours of newborn sleep and myriad possibilities for photographing dream-induced smiles. You gave us respite in those terrifying early days of parenthood.
You had your fickle times, too. You became difficult to induce and to maintain. Placing pacifiers just so. Bouncing in the sling again and again just to win 45 minutes of your glory. Driving aimlessly around town with bleary eyes. Whatever the price, you were always worth it.
And as you aged, you continued to change. When you stopped visiting us three times a day, I was nervous. And when you cut your visits down to just one each afternoon, I knew my baby was growing up too fast.
And now, it seems that you have left us for good. I had worried that perhaps we'd have to skip seeing some of our other friends to keep you around, but now it appears you are determined to leave despite our best efforts.
Oh, Naptime, you've given us so much over these three years. Time to rest, eat, clean, and pee alone. Solitude. Quiet. Uninterrupted telephone conversations.
Naptime, you will be greatly missed by all who knew you.
---
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh, man. I've been there. I mean, I'm still there. I haven't gotten over it yet.
Turtle power. I swear to god I just got it. Seriously I thought it was something the triphenylphosphine, which...well I just don't know why I thought that.
There would be no blogs without naps.
Naptime, like Lazarus, has risen from the dead!
Does that make me Jesus? Since I made it happen? Nobody fucks with the Jesus!
(I should totally not go there. Oh wait, I JUST DID!)
Post a Comment