Monday, January 12, 2009

Year in Review

Questions courtesy of Robyn who apparently took them from All and Sundry. Thanks to both!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Saw Chris Rock perform live.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No and (therefore) no. My resolution is always the same: lose weight. I am alternately trying really hard or giving up.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Four of my friends from playgroup and me.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
Does the Labor and Delivery floor count as a foreign country?

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Splenda in my coffee. (i.e. a weaned babe)

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
2-28-08, Savannah's birth date.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
See number 7. (Jeez, my year was a touch baby-dominated, no?)

9. What was your biggest failure?
Screwing up my knees by running.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
See number 9. Plus, pregnancy tumor requiring minor plastic surgery to the lip. Ouch.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Nothing, I am cheap. All the best stuff was either free (train table, big girl bed) or a gift (Ugg boots, iPod, concert tickets).

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My girls'. My husband's.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
People who voted for Prop 8. People who thought Sarah Palin would have made a good president. *shudder*

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Groceries. Diapers.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Jeremy accepting a job in San Diego.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I don't listen to music enough to even know what songs came out this year. Probably the theme song to Thomas and Friends.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier. WAY thinner. (I was big, big pregnant.) And poorer. Two out of three, not bad.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spending time with friends.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Not traveling and not hosting. Just us.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
It was Survivor. I'm a loser, but I still love that show.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. Actually, I am friends again with at least one person I had abandoned. (Thanks, Facebook.)

24. What was the best book you read?
Most addictive: Twilight.
Best non-fiction: Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.
Best fiction: Atonement? (I have a hard time remembering what I've read.)

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Flight of the Conchords. (Not really music and not really my discovery. As established, I'm lame.)

26. What did you want and get?
An iPod.

27. What did you want and not get?
A new computer.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Dark Knight. It was the one I was most excited about and we got to see it under the best possible circumstances: in an IMAX theater while grandparents were babysitting.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Weekend with friends on the Cape. Had a giant chocolate cake. Ran for 33 minutes (which is a lot, for me) because I turned 33.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If the economy hadn't tanked.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
It's ok to wear maternity shirts after you are no longer pregnant.

32. What kept you sane?
Rare but much-appreciated babysitting from YMCA ladies, grandparents, and friends.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I still like that kid from Prison Break.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election and gay marriage.

35. Who did you miss?
All of our family and friends in California. Our friends from Jeremy's time in grad school who are now spread out all over the country.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Mr. Blogger.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
The Golden Rule applies to children as well. I have to treat them the way I want them to treat me. (Easy to apply for things like spanking, harder for things like using an angry voice.)

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Yeah... no.
---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fun and informative read! I should have broken up the book question, as you did. Would have made it easier.

You're moving back to San Diego?

Also - your number 37? Yeah. I need that one, too.

Heidi said...

yeah, as LL Cool J would say: we're goin' back to cali.

jeremy starts at sdsu this fall, so the big move will be sometime this summer. both sets of grandparents are beyond thrilled.

i'm trying to enjoy my last new england winter, but today it was minus 1 outside and it took a ridiculous amount of time to get us all bundled and out the door... i look forward to the day when savannah can leave the house in just her diaper. year-round.