Friday, January 30, 2009

Meine Welt Sind die Berge

I've been trying to slowly teach Chelsea German... or at least expose her to some German, since I don't speak it fluently myself.

A little background: my mom is German and both my parents speak German fluently. I took enough German in school to get by but I wish I were more proficient. All of my mom's family still lives in Germany and I'm concerned that Chelsea will lose half her family tree if she doesn't learn to communicate with them.

A few months ago, my cousin sent Chelsea a little German songbook Sing Mit Heidi. It's a board book with German children's songs and each has a little button to push and the tune will play. Ironically, the one song that didn't work was the title song (and my namesake) Heidi.

Chelsea loved it and asked to hear it again and again. Eventually, she started singing them. I don't know why I was so surprised but it seems so amazing to me.

I asked my mom to order us a few more for Christmas and now we've got Sing Mit Biene Maja and Sing Mit Wickie. They are all huge hits with Chelsea.

The other night, we were sitting around trying to entertain the girls and distract them from their sore throats and runny noses. Jeremy had the idea to search for the German songs on youtube. I don't know how this had never occurred to either of us before.

Sure enough, there's Heidi. There's Biene Maja. And there's Wickie. (The singer of Biene Maja sounds like he's auditioning for Cabaret.)

After many months of skipping over the Heidi song, it's nice to finally hear the tune for it. It's very chipper and yodel-y, just as you would expect:



Jeremy gets a Pearl Jam song and I get this. I can't decide who wins.
---

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well... yours is happier, by far, but his rocks more (by far). I'd say it's a wash.

Willy Sue said...

I'm not gonna lie to you, this song kicks Pearl Jam's Jeremy's ass all up and down. If my name were Heidi I'd have this as my ringtone.

you know me, different blog now.

kate said...

You're named after Heidi?? Now I know I love you. LOVE that book and have always been smitten with all things Bavarian.

You've never used illegal drugs?? Wow.