I was listening to a movie review on the radio the other day, and the reviewer said he grades each movie after he sees it. So when it's time to compile a top ten list for the year-end review, it's already done.
I thought that was a great idea. Although, I'm not a movie critic. And I probably don't even go to the movies ten times in a year.
So maybe not.
But then I thought I could do the same for books. Or at least write down what I thought of them, maybe in a little notebook?
Then I remembered that I have a blog.
Today I finished reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. I picked it up yesterday from the library. It was (obviously) a fast read. And good.
It's a coming-of-age story of a poor girl in the early 1900s. After reading it, I found that it's considered a classic and a popular choice for school reading lists.
I needed a dose of perspective and this book gave me that. We are by no means poor and it is good to be reminded of that fact.
The book made me cry in many places, although I am weepy and prone to crying at the slightest provocation, so perhaps that doesn't say much.
It also made me laugh out loud. There's one episode in the book where a drunkard father takes three children on a disastrous boat ride. I was crying again, but from laughter.
It's hard to grade this book. I really enjoyed it and I would highly recommend it, but I wouldn't want to read it again and again.
Final grade: A minus.
---
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love this one too. I read it as an adult too. Another great "coming of age" novel that I found later is "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. So good.
thanks for the recommendation, ginger. i'll have to add that to my list, i haven't read it. :)
"Poppy and Rye" and the others in the series are great books for 3rd-5th graders
Thanks, anon. I used to teach 4th, 5th, 6th and never heard of those. have to keep my eyes peeled.
Who are you, btw?
:)
Post a Comment