We are suffering from a new disease. A very first-world disease, but a disease nonetheless.
It is called TMSS: Too Much Stuff Syndrome.
(Or, as I like to call it privately in my head, "Too Much Shit Syndrome.")
We aren't hoarders. We regularly donate bags and boxes of our still usable (but no longer used by us) stuff to local charities. We are cheap and on a tight budget.
And yet we're drowning in a mountain of stuff.
Is it the tiny apartment? Do we actually have a normal amount of stuff but cramming it all into a tiny pad makes it appear like so much more?
Is it that we have no garage? So we can't stash things that normal people would put away? Like, say, those two boxes of Christmas decorations?
Or is it the children?
We were excited about all the stuff that comes along with having a baby: the stroller, the highchair, the Pack n Play, changing table, the Diaper Genie even! Even when Chelsea outgrew all of that stuff, we hung on to it, anticipating having Savannah. So now we have all that baby stuff, plus some toddler stuff, and the big kid stuff.
And lots and lots and lots of toys.
I think the toys are really what drives me the most insane. I have a place for everything, but rarely is everything in its place. This morning, I wanted to vacuum the carpet in Chelsea's room, but her floor was like a collage of LEGOs, puzzle pieces, fake plastic food, and Little Einsteins figurines.
When I get really upset, and Chelsea refuses to help me clean it up, I always threaten to just throw it all away.
My realization that we were suffering from TMSS came into sharp focus recently when we visited a house that was for sale. The owners had two small children, the same age as ours. But they had nowhere near the amount of toys and kids' stuff that we have.
They DID have a garage. (Maybe they shoved it all in there?) And a yard. Two things we are sorely lacking.
And perhaps their kids don't stay home? Since I stay home with the girls, our place needs to do triple duty: home, daycare, and preschool. Make that quintuple duty: it's also our garage and yard.
I'm grateful to have this problem. The problem of having too much.
Now riddle me this: how can I donate a large portion of a four-year-old's toys without said four-year-old losing her ever-loving mind?
That is a true problem.
---
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Hi Heidi:
We're suffering from T.M.S.S as well ;-)
Now I know what might work for one Mom, might not another. I'm not sure if you tried this, but here's hoping it'll help.
This might take some time, but what I do is every night after putting the girls to bed, I take one of their toys and hide it. Then the next day, I check and see if they notice. So far, they haven't. This way I'm not taking a whole bunch at one time, but do see which toy(s) they're favoring and leave those.
I hope this helps!!!
Sandy
you're good, sandy. and sneaky. i like it.
think chelsea'll notice if she wakes up tomorrow and her train table is gone? :)
Ah yeah, think she will notice it LOL. Didn't realize that was what you wanted to get rid of. She will definitely notice, especially if it's a Thomas table train too, oy vey.
Hhmmmm here's another idea, if and when you buy a house, the box of toys can mysteriously disappear. It will be tragic, but they will get over it. Ok, am I REALLY evil????
Wish you luck and let us know how it goes.
Sandy
1. I suffer from TSSS too. Also TMFPWDIACF (Too Much Fucking Paper Where Did It All Come From Syndrome).
2. Those people's house looked like it didn't have much stuff only because they are showing it, which means they've boxed up all their kid's stuff and are hiding it. They are no different from you. I know. I've been there.
3. Take stuff in the middle of the night. It's the only way.
Gotta be ruthless, Heidi. We both have the curse of girls with December birthdays. The chaos of toys gets to me every January.
Get Jeremy to take to the girls swimming. Throw everything you don't like into garbage bags and stuff them in a closet. If the girls don't notice anything in a couple of weeks - take everything to the charity thrift store. If they ask about something later just say that you don't know where it is (that's kinda the truth, right?).
I just did a big toy sort and it was so worth it. They can actually find the toys that they do play with. Imagine!
Oh and, good luck with the house hunt.
so, sandy, robyn, and ginger, i think between the four of us we could each take a corner of that train table and get it out of here. when can you all come over?
:)
I wish.
Post a Comment