Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Great Double Stroller Debate

I have come to one conclusion: Double strollers suck.

While I was still pregnant with Savannah, I started researching double strollers. My parents generously offered to buy us one, and I am an over-zealous nerd so I spent A LOT of time online looking at options.

I finally decided on one of the two Graco Duo Gliders (old school or fancy schmancy new model). I didn't really like either of them, but figured I needed something. After wheeling them around hell, I mean Babies R Us, for longer than my toddler's attention span, I finally decided on the fancy one... only to find out, it doesn't fit in the trunk of our car (Honda Civic, 'nuff said).

After more thought and Internet-review reading, I decided on either the Joovy Caboose or the Baby Trend Sit N Stand. Both have a front seat that can accommodate an infant car seat and then convert to a traditional, stroller seat when the baby is older. They also both have a rear-facing jump seat and a little platform for the older child. So how to decide?

As far as I could tell from my vast and all-consuming Internet research, the two strollers were basically the same length, width, weight, and folded dimensions. The Joovy is much cooler-looking (really good reason to choose a stroller! I know!) so I was leaning towards that, thinking if they're basically the same, why not get the cute one?

I go for a final, confirmation test-stroll and I come across two total deal-breakers. One: the infant seat cannot be "clicked" in and out of the Joovy, it has to be strapped in. and out. each time. Also, when the infant car seat is in, the toddler CANNOT sit! Can only stand! Umm, what's the point of having a seat THAT THE KID CANNOT SIT ON? (By the time the baby is out of the car seat, the older kid will probably be walking alongside you anyway.)

Ok. So I happily changed my mind and bought (thanks, Mom and Dad!) the Sit N Stand. And lo, it is glorious. It fits in the trunk! The car seat clicks in and out! When I have to leave somewhere and I have a cranky toddler I can say, "Do you want to sit or stand?"

However. (There is always a however!)

This is definitely a "mall stroller." It's great for flat, smooth surfaces. But if you want to push it on a surface that has the teeniest little slope toward the left or right (like, say ANY SIDEWALK IN OUR TOWN) the front end of it just careens out of control downhill and it takes Popeye forearms to get it to stay on course. *sigh* Also, the little wheels are no match for the ginormous tree roots bursting through the sidewalks.

Luckily, we found a decent (and free) used double jogger which will ably handle our treacherous local sidewalks. But won't fit in the trunk of any car. So it will be awesome for walks around the neighborhood... but it can't go anywhere else. Sorry!

And I'm sure we'll eventually replace both of these with a lightweight, double umbrella stroller. So we'll end up with three double strollers. In addition to the three single strollers we already had with Chelsea.

Can anyone say racket?

No comments: