Thursday, October 28, 2010

Weepy McWeeperpants

Hello. My name is Heidi. And I cry at musicals.

Today I decided to clean the house. It is such a loathsome chore that I thought some music would help. We've been playing enough of the Spooky Halloween Mix that I needed something different and musicals are usually my cleaning music of choice.

I love musicals. Even the bad ones. I know the anti-Rent mafia would crap a coconut to hear it, but I love every melodramatic minute of that musical. And Wicked! And Chicago! And Evita! And what else you got?

Today's selection was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. And I know what you're thinking: "Close Every Door to Me." Right? That's the song that makes me cry?

Nope.

Today I had to stop singing in the middle of "Go, Go, Go Joseph." Which (in case you're not a closet musical freak like me) is not a tear-jerker at all. It's more like a rousing dance number.

Donny Osmond reuniting with his family also set off the waterworks: "Your brother... It's me!"

That last line just kills me. I know it's coming. And it still kills me. I don't even have any brothers. (Self psychoanalysis: Is that why? I want to reunite with my formerly fratricidal brothers, too?)

I'm a weepy person in general, so I guess it's not surprising that musicals would make me cry, but it's not just musicals. I cry at church music. And that bothers me vastly more than the musicals because I am completely un-religious. So what's up with that? Is it just music in general that makes me cry? I don't cry at the radio. Much.

I'm not really very musical myself. Took piano lessons as a kid, didn't stick with it. Can't really sing. My iPod is full of episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine and SuperWhy instead of actual music.

Perhaps I have some unfulfilled desire to star on Broadway. But how would I ever get through the show, when I'm bursting into tears halfway through every song?

So I guess I'll just keep listening at home. And keep mopping the floor. With my tears.
---

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Heidi! You are so cute. I cry at everything too, but Donny Osmond?

Heidi said...

dude. go listen to it (donny is on the original broadway cast recording) and THEN you can call me out. :)