Sunday, August 1, 2010

Unhappy Camper

I have tried to like camping. Really, I have.

I have camped at the beach.

I have camped in the desert.

And now I have camped in the mountains.

Can I be done trying to like camping now?

I just. don't. like it.

I want to like it. For the children. And for my husband, who really does like it. But I just don't.

I don't like the dirt. Or the bugs. Or the hikes. Or the sleeping on the ground.

I do like the stars. The campfire. The s'mores.

But we live by the beach. So we can go have a bonfire with stars and s'mores just about whenever we want, minus the dirt, and bugs, and hiking, and butt and/or hip hitting the ground all night long because your fancy air mattress is not properly inflated.

Come to think of it, we have a firepit. So we can do fire + stars + s'mores without even leaving the house!

Top that, camping.

For now, I think I'm all done. I'll take a year off, then try again. We went camping with some really lovely friends this time, and I was just such a Debbie Downer. I hate to ruin everyone else's trip, so I'll just stay away for a while.

Part of the problem with camping is me. But part of the problem with camping is my children, particularly Savannah. She's just too young to be fun on a camping trip. She won't sleep through the night, she pours lemonade all over me and herself, and she throws a handful of dirt into her own eyes. Maybe in a year she'll be more manageable.

Lest you think I spoiled the entire trip, here are a few pictures to prove otherwise.

Chelsea's patented "stylish pose."


Now THERE'S a happy camper.


See? I was there, too. And I even smiled!


Post-camping exhaustion. Like father, like daughter.

---

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi:

Sorry to hear your last camping trip didn't go so well. I do have to give you LOTS of credit for trying, especially with young kids.

I'm not sure if you've tried this, but have you thought about pitching a tent in your yard? It seems like you'd have everything at a camp ground right there at home and if you and Savannah got uncomfortable, you can just go back in the house. Would also be a good way to train, if you will, the girls for camping in the comfort of your own yard, just saying lol.

Hopefully, Jeremy won't mind camping in the back yard, I think the girls would get a kick out of it.

Hope you're doing well and we all miss you here in MA.

Sandy

Heidi said...

Sandy, we could TOTALLY camp in the backyard!

Bonus: I could sneak in and sleep in my bed after they're all asleep, haHA!

:)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, you're evil and I love it!!!!!!!

I would totally sneak out too, but don't forget to sneak back in LOL

Sandy :-)