Friday, September 4, 2009

And a Side Order of the Buddha

Today I was watching Top Chef on YouTube (oh yes! it is very Top Secret, but it is there) and somehow stumbled on this crazy video of Penn Teller talking about atheists and agnostics.

From there, I found Sam Harris' website and became briefly absorbed in the forum discussions on religion.

I've only written a little about religion on here, it being such a controversial subject and my views being decidedly in the minority. But it is a topic of endless fascination and consternation to me.

As I've gotten older, I've learned to hold my tongue. I worked in a Christian school for a few years without getting into any blazing philosophical debates.

But when I was younger, I loved to argue about religion. Part of the reason I did my undergraduate degree in the Study of Religion was so that I would have a good comeback when religious people asked me (as they often did) if I had ever truly explored a religion. ("Why, as it so happens, I have a degree in the subject!)

Oh. And I also love The Big Lebowski.

(You: Huh? What the eff does that have to do with anything?)

All of this is just background to explain why I so greatly enjoyed an email that I received today from my fabulous and hysterical husband. This is what he wrote, in response to my mom's request that he pick something off the menu of a local Mexican place for an upcoming family gathering:

"I would like the Jesus."

Now, I have not confirmed this with him, but I am completely convinced that he picked this meal (it's a combination dinner, btw) primarily for the chance to say "I would like the Jesus." Or later, "I really enjoyed the Jesus." And maybe also, "You have to try the Jesus!"

(Yes, I know it's not "Jee-zuss" it's "Hay-soos," but "I would like the Hay-soos" just isn't as funny.)

My husband is selflessly ignoring his own desires in order to get a laugh.

Or maybe he really just wanted the "Dos Beef Tacos" combo plate.
---

No comments: